PROVIDING QUALITY EDUCATION SINCE 1907
The Augustinian Recollect Sisters’ teaching apostolate dates back to the early years of the “Beaterio” when Spain, as a sovereign power, imposed her colonial policy of spreading Christianity in the Philippines. On June 4, 1754, Marquez de Obando, the Spanish Governor General, through his secretary, chose Sor Nicolas de San Jose, the Prioress, Sor Clara de Santa Rita, and Sor Ignacia dela Santisima Trinidad to teach young girls the Christian faith and the development of refinement in character. The establishment of teacher-training institutions was brought about by the promulgation of the Educational Decree 1363, thus giving the Sisters an opportunity to earn the title of teachers.
In 1907, under the direction of Reverend Celestino Yoldi, a Recollect priest, a well-defined and delineated program of education was prescribed. Kindergarten, special classes in Spanish, painting, embroidery, and piano lessons were offered. On September 29, 1911, Colegio de Sta. Rita, Manila became the Congregation’s first learning institution offering primary and intermediate classes which were registered in the Bureau of Education.
In 1912, English was included in the program of instruction which gained immediate approval by the government and in 1929, the complete secondary curriculum was recognized. Gradually, Domestic Science, Vocational Course, Education, Liberal Arts, and Spanish for all levels were offered. Hence, Colegio de Sta. Rita was changed to Saint Rita College.
In 1948, the Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (BSEED) was opened, then the complete Liberal Arts (AB) and BSE followed in 1951. Computer courses were offered in high school and college in 1993 and HRM in 1994. Later, computer literacy was offered to all students. Through the efforts of the Sisters and lay personnel, the Basic Education Department of Saint Rita College-Manila, Inc. has attained Level II Accreditation by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities.